Emmerdale staff 'revolt after stars get preferential treatment'
Emmerdale staff ‘revolt after on-screen stars get preferential treatment over coronavirus temperature testing’
- Here’s how to help people impacted by Covid-19
Emmerdale staff revolted after on-screen stars were given preferential treatment over coronavirus temperature testing, according to reports.
It is thought that TV journalists, office and technical staff were left enraged after being told via email that the actors and crew would all have mandatory temperature checks.
But staff associated with wider production were not offered the same tests despite sharing a studio in Leeds with the long-running soap.
Unfair: Emmerdale staff revolted after on-screen stars were given preferential treatment over coronavirus temperature testing, according to reports
John Whiston, head of ITV in the North, sent staff the plans in an email, saying it ‘won’t necessarily be the same for everyone,’ according to the Mirror.
One source said: ‘People were very p***ed off. You can tell who the golden folk are.
‘We just have to doff our caps as the stars come in. It’s daft.
‘They all still have to use the same door handles as us to get in the building – but if we’ve got it, tough.’
Staying positive: It comes after Emmerdale became the first British soap to resume filming as it began a ‘phased return’ on Wednesday
Filming: The crew are using their own equipment which has been sanitised in advance while office staff continue to work from home
ITV bosses are thought to have since altered their policy to include ‘testing for all’ following the barrage of ‘heated’ objections.
ITV has been contacted for comment.
It comes after Emmerdale became the first British soap to resume filming as it began a ‘phased return’ on Wednesday.
And The Sun have reported that some stars from the soap and Coronation Street are concerned that they will be dropped from the show due to the coronavirus crisis.
A celebrity agent speaking to the publication on Saturday and claimed they had been contacted by ‘several people’ asking for work as they fear fewer stars will be asked to come back to the show.
New formula: The soap’s production team have recorded six new episodes using a pared back crew at the show’s studios in Leeds, with stories focused on characters in lockdown
Uncertainty: It has also been reported that some stars from the soap and Coronation Street are concerned that they will be dropped from the show due to the coronavirus crisis
The agent claimed some soap stars had also asked about voiceover work and other similar opportunities, and added: ‘These are people who’ve been in the show for years and they were apprehensive for the future.
‘Inevitably, the cast call will be far lower for each scene meaning people will be left at home and not getting paid.
‘They also think that the longer this goes on the more ITV will realise they don’t need so many people on the cast so when contracts come up for renewal, some people just won’t have theirs renewed.’
ITV declined to comment when approached by MailOnline.
How broadcasters are planning to get cameras rolling on the UK’s TV industry post-lockdown
Broadcasters have detailed how they’re gearing up to restart the UK’s TV industry once the coronavirus lockdown is lifted.
In a 15-page plan, networks such as Sky, the BBC, ITV, ITN, Channel 4 and Channel 5, have explained how they’ll get the cameras rolling in the near future, with sets enforcing rules such as bringing your own cutlery to work, banning extras, encouraging indoor production and minimal make-up assistance.
Coronation Street has confirmed that it is in the final stages of a ‘return-to-production protocol’ after filming was suspended to follow COVID-19 regulations.
A representative exclusively told MailOnline: ‘ITV is in the final stages of working with others across the industry on a return-to-production protocol and we are in active discussions with Government on this. We will share further updates in due course.’
Sources have since claimed bosses have put together a plan for the cast to return to set next month and film with the use of clever camera angles to ensure stars are adhering to social distancing.
The hit ITV soap suspended filming in March to following lockdown and social distancing regulations amid the coronavirus crisis.
Filming: Sources have claimed bosses have put together a plan for the cast to return to set next month with the use of clever camera angles to ensure stars are adhering to social distancing (Ian Bartholomew and Shelley King pictured)
Charlotte Moore, the broadcaster’s director of content, said the BBC One soap would be up and running again within weeks, along with Top Gear, with limited crew members and cast asked to do their own hair and makeup.
Builders were pictured getting to work on the new £87million EastEnders set in Elstree Studios, London last week.
Controller of BBC drama Piers Wenger previously said the broadcaster hoped to resume filming on soaps ‘as soon as possible’.
He pointed to the example of Australian soap Neighbours, which has resumed filming but with social distancing rules in place and other limitations, including banning kissing on set.
Under construction: Builders were pictured getting to work on the new £87million EastEnders set in Elstree Studios, London last week
There’s no news on when production for the Channel 4 soap will return as of yet, but the series is said to have enough episodes to last until the end of July and has scaled back its weekly shows from five to just two.
Director of programming for Channel 4, Ian Katz, said: ‘The coronavirus outbreak is an enormous creative challenge for all broadcasters and though it is having a profound impact on getting some of our productions onto screen, when public service broadcasters like Channel 4 can step up and help people navigate through the extraordinary challenges we all now face.’
While a soap representative added: ‘Dear Hollyoaks viewers. It is with a heavy heart that we have made the decision to pause filming of Hollyoaks. From Monday 30th March, we will be reducing the number of our weekly new episodes from five down to three, which will air Monday to Wednesday.
Social distancing: Hollyoaks announced in March that filming has been suspended to adhere to social distancing and government regulations amid the coronavirus crisis
Peaky Blinders and Line Of Duty
Cast and crew of the two shows will have to ‘maintain a two-metre distance from others, and wash their hands regularly’, reports The Sun.
Peaky Blinders, which sees Cillian Murphy and Helen McCrory as its leads and follows a Birmingham crime gang in the 1920s, were yet to start filming series six.
While Line Of Duty, which sees Martin Compston, Vicky McClure and Adrian Dunbar as its leads in the British police drama, suspended its filming in Belfast for season six in March to adhere to the COVID-19 regulations.
Back to work? Peaky Blinders, which sees Cillian Murphy and Helen McCrory as its leads and follows a Birmingham crime gang in the 1920s, were yet to start filming series six
Back to it: Line Of Duty sees Adrian Dunbar, Vicky McClure and Martin Compston (L-R) as its leads in the British police drama
Love Island has been cancelled this summer but ITV bosses are said to be considering reviving the show for the autumn and filming in the Canary Islands.
Kevin Lygo, Director of Television at ITV, said: ‘We have tried every which way to make Love Island this summer but logistically it’s just not possible to produce it in a way that safeguards the wellbeing of everyone involved and that for us is the priority.
‘In normal circumstances we would be preparing very soon to travel out to the location in Mallorca to get the villa ready but clearly that’s now out of the question.
Cancelled: Love Island has been cancelled this summer but ITV bosses are said to be considering reviving the show for the autumn and filming in the Canary Islands (host Laura Whitmore pictured)
I’m A Celebrity
I’m A Celebrity… Get Me Out Of Here! is reportedly set to still go ahead later this year, despite the coronavirus pandemic.
Sources tell The Sun that show bosses are ‘holding virtual talks’ to plan for the show’s return, as they anticipate a huge response from viewers following the crisis.
A TV source told the paper: ‘ITV are certain lockdown will be well over by the time I’m A Celeb normally starts which is in November.
I’m A Celebrity… Get Me Out Of Here! is reportedly set to still go ahead later this year, despite the coronavirus pandemic (hosts Ant and Dec pictured)
Dancing On Ice
Dancing On Ice producers are powering through with plans for the 2021 series, reportedly with a mega budget lining the show’s coffers.
Despite the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, it seems ITV aren’t worried about production going ahead come January next year, and they have their sights set on a slew of big stars to take to the rink.
A source told The Sun: ‘It’s full steam ahead for next year’s show and casting is already well underway. The professional skaters will be meeting potential celebrity partners on the ice next month to see how they pair up.
Big bucks! Dancing On Ice producers are powering through with plans for the 2021 series, reportedly with a mega budget lining the show’s coffers
Strictly Come Dancing
BBC boss Charlotte revealed TV executives are considering putting forward drastic measures in an attempt to save the show amid the coronavirus crisis.
Producers are still assessing contingency plans such as enforcing a face mask rule, dancing two metres apart and even quarantining celebrities and professional dancers.
TV executives have reportedly also ‘made the difficult decision’ to exclude the some of the show’s stand-out features in a bid to comply with current social distancing guidelines, including scrapping Blackpool week and group dances.
Never done before: Quarantining participants is being considered as options (judges Bruno Tonioli, Motsi Mabuse, Shirley Ballas and Craig Revel Horwood pictured)
Source: Read Full Article