Huw Edwards shares defiant response after being sent redundancy letter by BBC
Huw Edwards has shared a defiant response on social media after his BBC bosses offered him redundancy.
The newsreader took a swipe at "the papers" with his response and described the offer as nothing more than a "standard HR exercise".
He tweeted a photo of himself and his mother, both drinking bubbly, and captioned the snap: "Reality check, A standard exercise by @BBCNews (one of many over the years) is just that.
"A standard invitation to consider applying for voluntary redundancy. Nothing more. As my mam says, don't believe everything in the papers."
Huw's post comes after it was reported he had been sent a letter offering him voluntary redundancy, with top-earning colleagues Clive Myrie and Sophie Raworth also being contacted.
The Mirror has reported the publicly funded broadcaster is looking to save millions. The publication has also reported Huw, 61, is on a yearly salary of around £410,000.
Huw joined the BBC more than 40 years ago and regularly presents the six o'clock and ten o'clock bulletins.
Elsewhere, fellow presenter Clive has been named in the £255,000 to £259,000 bracket while Sophie receives in the region of £305,000 and £309,999 a year.
The redundancy letters are said to be linked to strict cost-cutting measures spearheaded by Director General Tim Davie.
Echoing similar sentiments to Huw about the letters being a "standard exercise", a spokesperson for the BBC his since told the Mirror of the letters: “This isn’t about any new job cuts – it’s a standard HR exercise relating to savings we’ve announced previously – and it’s not targeting any individuals; we have to send it to everyone who’s at the same grade.
"We’re looking for expressions of interest in redundancy, not offering it, and it’s not the case that any or everyone who came forward would be accepted."
According to the Daily Mail, the letters were sent out in early April and asked if staff would consider "potentially leaving the BBC under voluntary redundancy".
A source told the paper: "The email is addressed to all senior news presenters and presenters and presenters on the band immediately below. Everyone got it on the same day."
Presenters were said to have been given until last Friday to register their interest. Huw received one of the letters, despite recently signing a three year contract to stay with the Beeb.
- Deborah James's husband given blessing to find love again as his mother-in-law speaks out
- Taylor Swift fans speculate emotional performance was influenced by split
- Prince Harry and King Charles 'had heart to heart' before Coronation decision
- Strictly finalist Helen Skelton 'in talks' to replace Rylan on It Takes Two
- I'm A Celeb star in hospital dash as they detail 'super painful' leg injury
Source: Read Full Article