Shane Richie says I’m A Celebrity will help him pay off debts as coronavirus left him ‘literally skint’

Get the best celeb exclusives and video house tours to your inbox every evening with our daily newsletter

Shane Richie has candidly revealed that his time on I’m A Celebrity… Get Me Out Of Here! will help him pay of his debts.

The former EastEnders actor, 56, said the coronavirus pandemic has left him “literally skint” after his work was cancelled.

Shane, who played Alfie Moon on Albert Square, admitted the financial situation got so bad he was forced to borrow money from family and friends.

He also revealed how he signed up for the show at the beginning of the year, but managed to keep it a secret.

  • I’m A Celebrity hosts Ant and Dec finally brave Bushtucker Trial after years of refusing

  • I'm A Celebrity stars will experience 'transitional shock' as they get used to brutal new environment

Get exclusive celebrity stories and fabulous photoshoots straight to your inbox with OK!'s daily newsletter. You can sign up at the top of the page.

As he was confirmed as one of this year's I'm A Celeb stars, actor Shane revealed: “We got the call in January and I agreed to do it because it was the 20th one.

“My kids were old enough to travel to Australia and they wanted to meet Ant and Dec! We were all really excited.”

He added: “We were going to fit it around my other work as I was going on tour, doing a TV series and panto — but that all got cancelled in March.

“And now I am literally skint. You save money for a rainy day but you don’t expect the rainy day to last six months.


“Thankfully I’ve been able to borrow money from mates, my family and the bank and my wife is now very happy we can finally pay off the credit card!”

Shane, who previously revealed he was once homeless as a teenager, continued to share his excitement at being asked to take part in the show.

He said: “But what an honour to be asked before lockdown. I am so grateful and I am really looking forward to being around adults again instead of my wife and three children!”

When asked how he would feel if the show opened more doors for him in the showbiz world, he said: “I do feel like I have come home.

  • Sign up to our daily newsletter for the BEST celebrity house tours and BIGGEST exclusive interviews

  • Download OK! magazine's FREE app and get all the latest gossip straight to your phone

“Everyone thinks of me as a BBC person but I am ITV. I was Mr Saturday night.

“Yeah I would love to do more entertainment shows again. If they said: ‘let’s give Shanie a show,’ wouldn't that be lovely?”

Shane is set to take part in this year’s series alongside Sir Mo Farah, AJ Pritchard, who reportedly tested positive for coronavirus, and Beverley Callard.

Ahead of the launch Corrie star Bev confessed that she hated all creepy crawlies, laughing as she was confirmed as a contestant: “I absolutely hate them all I don't why I've said yes! Oh dear…”

Source: Read Full Article