Wilko rival makes 'disgraceful' joke about takeover – and shoppers are threatening to boycott the chain | The Sun
A WILKO rival has made a "disgraceful" joke about the takeover of the company and shoppers are threatening to boycott the chain.
B&M has sparked backlash with a social media post joking about its takeover of a number of Wilko stores.
In the now-deleted Facebook post, B&M left shoppers fuming with its out-of-touch attempt a humour.
The post read: "Popped into B&M for a few things and left with 51 Wilko stores.
"It happens to the best of us."
The Daily Mail reports that the post quickly received backlash from people online.
Read more on Money
Major Wilko rival saves 51 stores from closing as 1,000s of jobs still at risk
Six mobile networks offering phone contracts without credit checks
One user said: "Christ B&M, people have lost their jobs and are on the brink of unemployment and this?"
Another fumed: "Well B&M, aren't you such a lovely lot 12,500 jobs on the line and you think this is funny? Glad I don't work for you lot."
While another added: "Absolutely disgraceful post!"
The Sun has reached out to B&M for comment.
Most read in Money
Administrators axe 1,332 Wilko jobs & 52 shops to shut – is your store closing?
McDonald’s Monopoly returns with HUGE new gameplay feature- here’s how it works
Is Wilko closing? Full list of stores confirmed to shut and the branches at risk
McDonald’s is making a major change with six new items TODAY – fans are buzzing
B&M announced yesterday that it would be taking over 51 Wilko locations in a £13million deal.
But the future of hundreds of remaining Wilko stores and thousands of jobs still remain uncertain.
On the same day the "joke" was posted hundreds of staff were made redundant at the company's Worksop support centre.
Further losses are expected at the company's Worksop and Newport warehouses this week.
This comes as administrator PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC) has confirmed a total of 52 shops will close their doors by the end of September 14.
Twenty-four branches will close on September 12 while a further 28 will shut for good on September 14.
It comes as a total of 1,332 jobs are slashed in the latest round of redundancies.
It has not yet been confirmed which of the 51 stores is being bought out by B&M.
There is still hope that some of the remaining Wilko stores could be saved along with thousands of jobs.
HMV owner Doug Putman is said to be still in talks to buy 200 of the troubled chain's stores.
The Sun previously revealed that weekend negotiations between Canadian entrepreneur Mr Putman had run into problems.
The businessman, who bought HMV in 2019, is said to have been dealing with issues with Wilko suppliers.
Administrators have also been in talks with rival retailers Poundland, Home Bargains and The Range.
Read More on The Sun
Full list of Wilko stores closing revealed – is one near you shutting for good?
Holly Willoughby breaks silence on This Morning’s crushing loss at NTAs
Poundland's owner Pepco is said to be eyeing up around 100 stores.
Even if Mr Putman's deal does go through some Wilko stores will still be forced to shut for good.
Source: Read Full Article